Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Love Affair with Eggplants

Dear Jess,

The temperatures are dropping, and it is coming close to donning colourful layers of shirts, jackets, scarves, jeans, and boots! Because my job does not start until the 11th, I needed something delicious to make, yet cheep! Ah, the search for balance!

I got this recipe out of yet another Everyday Food magazine from my friend's house. I find I am falling in love yet again with this purple vegetable. As you know, I used to use them in many recipes as a meat replacement to keep my recipes more affordable. It is delicious and simple! Perfect for the beginning of Autumn.

Roasted Eggplant and Chickpea Soup
olive oil
2 medium eggplants - peeled and diced
1 medium yellow onion - chopped
2 garlic cloves
salt and pepper
15.5 oz can of chick peas - drained and rinsed
4 cups of chicken broth (or water)

1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, toss the eggplant cubes with the onion and two whole garlic cloves in 4 tbsp of olive oil and salt and pepper. Put mixture on a baking sheet.

2. In a bowl, toss your chickpeas with 2 tsp of olive oil, salt and pepper. Put them on a baking sheet. Roast until eggplant is golden (about 35 minutes).

3. Set peas aside and peel your garlic. Add the roasted eggplant mix and the peeled garlic, and chicken broth (or water) in a medium pot. Bring to a simmer over med heat. Mash with a spoon or a masher. Stir in chickpeas and serve!

I also whipped up a quick batch of bruschetta. Believe it or not, we still had a few tomatoes to use up.

Lots of Love,
Sally

No comments:

Post a Comment