|Outside the front door|
Today I woke up and it was only 4 degrees outside. It was also snowing. I decided that today was a good day for staying inside to make warm food.
As you know, in the fall/winter I love to make chowders, stews, chilis etc. Today I decided to branch out and try something new.
On the menu for today: Broccoli and Roasted Red Pepper Quiche (with a brown rice crust), Creamy Tuna Rotini Casserole, and Peanut Butter Gingersnap Cookies!
|'Sealed With a Quiche' Pg 68 Eat, Shrink & be Merry|
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 cup minced onions
1 tsp minced garlic
1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
5 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese, divided
7 whole eggs
1 cup chopped broccoli florets
1/2 cup chopped bottled roasted red peppers
1/2 cup packed shredded light Swiss cheese
1. Preheat your oven to 350. Grease an 8 inch round cake pan or casserole dish. Set aside. Beat eggs in a small(ish) bowl. Set aside.
2. Heat olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic. Cook and stir until onions are tender (2 minutes.) Transfer onion mixture to a medium bowl. Add cooked rice, 3 tbsp Parmesan cheese, and 2 tbsp of beaten egg. Mix well. Spread mixture evenly over bottom of prepared pan and press down with the back of a spoon to make a crust.
3. Top crust with broccoli florets, roasted red peppers, and shredded cheese, in that order. In another medium bowl, whisk together remaining eggs, salt, basil, and pepper. Pour over vegetables and cheese. Top with tomato slices and sprinkle with remaining 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese.
4. Bake quiche for 45 minutes, or until it's puffed up and golden, and eggs are set. Let stand for at least 5 minutes before slicing.
|It comes out of the dish beautifully! And, oh man is it yummy!|
|'Tinbucktuna' Pg 111 Eat, Shrink & be Merry|
8oz uncooked rotini pasta
2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
1 tbsp butter
1 cup diced onions
1 tsp minced garlic
1 can (10oz) condensed, reduced-fat cream of broccoli soup, undiluted
2/4 cup packed shredded light old (sharp) cheddar cheese
1/4 cup light sour cream
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dry mustard powder
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 cans (6oz each) chunk light tuna in water, drained
1. Cook pasta according to package directions, adding frozen vegetables to the boiling water for the last 5 minutes of cooking time. Drain pasta and vegetables.
2. Meanwhile, prepare sauce. In a large, non-stick pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions and garlic. Cook and stir until onions are tender, about 5 minutes. Add soup, shredded cheese, sour cream, parmesan cheese, basil, mustard powder, and black pepper. Mix well and cook until sauce is bubbly and cheese has melted. Remove from heat. Stir in pasta, vegetables, and tuna. Serve hot.
|A Taste of Everything!|
|'Girl-Guy Cookies' - Pg 168 Eat, Shrink & be Merry|
|They are chewy and full of winter flavour!|