Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Summer Burgers and Homemade Oreos

Dearest Jess,

It has been a while since I have made a meal for the sake of making a meal. Jason and I were thinking this the other day, so we set aside last night to make dinner together. Since it's now summer (yay!) I picked a burger recipe. Since Jason loves sweets I tried making Oreos.

These Burgers, are very tasty. Jim bit into it and said 'It tastes like a taco!' Which, after biting into mine, I agreed. The aioli was a nice touch and added a flavour that is not generally on a taco, so it brought it into the 'burger arena'. We tried these on the BBQ but they started to fall apart, so we ended up grilling them on the stove top.


Paprika Lamb Burgers with Aioli
450g minced lamb
1 red onion, 1/2 grated, 1/2 sliced
1/2 small bunch parsley, chopped
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp ground cumin
pinch dried chilli flakes (optional)
4 tbsp mayonnaise
1/2 garlic clove, crushed
4 crusty rolls
1 beef tomato, sliced
Little Gem Lettuce leaves, to serve

1. Put the first six ingredients, except the onion slices, in a bowl with lots of seasoning. Mix together with your hands, then form into four burgers. Mix the mayo with garlic to make aioli. Fry the burgers for 4-5 minutes on each side until cooked through but juicy.
2. Layer teh rolls with lettuce, burgers, onion slices and tomato and a big dollop of aioli.


Oreos! Thanks again to my friend's blog, I stumbled across this recipe. I was very skeptical at first. I think it's because of my (lack of) baking skills. But this was me 'living on the edge' again. Last time it worked out, so I thought this time I might succeed as well.

I did! They were easy and a lot of fun. I used an electric beater for the first time since I was 12 baking with my mom! She used to always tell me to make sure my hair was tied back or else it could get stuck in the beater. This, and a few other lessons all came flooding back as I plugged it in and turned it on. I love my Mom.

But seriously. Make these!

 
Homemade Oreos

For the chocolate wafers:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) room-temperature, unsalted butter
1 large egg

For the filling:
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) room-temperature, unsalted butter
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
 
1. Set oven to 375.
 
2. Place flour, cocoa, soda, baking powder, salt and sugar. Mix and then add butter and egg blending until a thick paste forms.
Roll teaspoonfuls into a ball and place on a paper lined baking sheet, pressing down lightly.
Bake 9mins.

3. Meanwhile, make filling. In the mixer, blend butter and shortening. Slowly add sugar, and then vanilla. Whipping until very well mixed.

4. Place a blob between 2 cooled cookies and squish.
 
 

You are an amazing woman. I am proud to know you. I hope we can find a time to hang out soon. Maybe another double date?

So Much Love,
Sally

2 comments:

  1. You two seriously need to open a cafe/restaurant together! This stuff looks awesome! Hope you both have a sweet summer,

    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love lamb burgers. And your cookies turned out great!

    ReplyDelete