Thursday, June 16, 2011

Jamie Oliver With a Twist #1


Dear Sally,

Since I have moved to Newmarket I have started to realize just how much of a blessing this blog is to me. As the days get busier and the work piles higher I am so thankful for the few peaceful moments I have to share with you over the always wonderful topic of food.

It feels like we have been going steady ever since my parents and I moved everything in here a couple of weeks ago. Jesse and I have been so busy each day that I wanted- no needed- a night for just us. For this I turned to Jamie Oliver. When I was in Toronto Melissa bought me his Meals in Minutes cookbook and I have been waiting to use it ever since. I was thinking about pulling a Julie and Julia and trying every single recipe in order from front to back. I can't afford to do one every day but I thought I would work through about one a month. This way the book will last me the rest of my life :)

I make minor adjustments to the recipes depending on my allergies hence the TWIST. So far it has been a hit and I'm looking forward to many more delicious recipes in the future. The following combinations are things that I would never have thought about myself. The blending of spicy and savory, salty with sweet are amazing and definitely passed the test.

I seem to have lost my camera so the pictures were taken on Jesse's Blackberry but soon we will be able to take better pictures.

I'm looking forward to a visit to Peterborough soon! Miss you.

Love,
Jess

The menu:

Broccoli Orecchiette
Zucchini & Bobboncini Salad
Prosciutto & Melon Salad
(All Adapted from Jamie Oliver's Meals in Minutes)
Pasta

5 ounces Parmesan cheese
1 large head of broccoli
1 (2 ounce) can anchovies in oil
1 heaped tablespoon capers, drained
1 tbsp. chili paste
3 cloves garlic
a few sprigs of fresh thyme
1 pound dried orecchiette

Grate the parmesan cheese and set aside. Slice all the florets off the stalk of the large head of broccoli. Trim off the stalks of the broccoli and set aside.

Fit the standard blade o the processor. Put the broccoli stalks into the food processor with the anchovies and their oil, and the drained capaers. Blend in the chili paste, garlic and pulse it all into a paste.

Boil water for the pasta. While that is working heat 3 tbsp. of olive oil in a frying panand spoon in the broccoli paste. Stir, then pick and tear up some thyme leaves, discarding the woody stalks. Pour some water into the pan and add the parmesan cheese. Stir.

Add the pasta to the boiling water with a pinch of salt and follow directions. After five minutes add the broccoli florets to the water and cook. When finished drain with a colander, reserving some of the cooking water and add to the frying pan of paste. Add the parmesan cheese and mix all ingredients well. Just before serving add a drizzle of lemon juice.

Zuccini Salad

3 large sprigs of fresh mint
1 tsp chili sauce
1 lemon
8 ounces baby zucchini, mixed colours
4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
olive oil
salt and pepper

Pick the mint leaves over a cutting board. Chop very finely and put into a bowl. Add chili paste. Zest over 1/2 lemon and drizzle about 3 tbsp. olive oil, squeeze 1/2 the lemon. Peel the zucchini into ribbons over the dressing. Crumble the goat cheese onto the salad and season with salt and pepper.

Prosciutto & Melon Salad

a small bunch of fresh basil
1/2 lemon
8 ounces prosciutto
1 cantaloupe
balsamic vinegar

Pick the leaves from the basil, chop finely and place in the bottom of a salad bowl.

Add 2 tbsp. of olive oil and a good squeeze of lemon juice. Slice up the prosciutto into thin pieces and add them to the mix. Remove the seeds and skin from the melon and chop into bite-sized pieces. Drizzle over a little balsamic vinegar and toss.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jessica, thank you for posting this. I'm intending to make the Broccoli Orecchiette later this week and I've been looking around to see how other people have approached it.
    I'm a little bit tired of hearing everyone complaining you can't make the meals in 30 minutes, it takes practise, and as long as it's an enjoyable meal, that's all that matters!

    ReplyDelete