Thursday, July 14, 2011

A Light Spicy Snack


Dear Sally,

Your last blog made me salivate just reading the recipe and looking at those pictures! I can only imagine how good they tasted. In keeping with the mouthwatering burger theme I wanted to post something that I tried a couple of weeks ago when my family was visiting. It was a beautiful sunny day on Canada Day weekend and I was making lunch for five. I decided upon sweet potato fries as the side to some do-it-yourself sandwiches. I ran out of time when making this recipe and had to rush the cooking a bit but they still turned out. There is a bit of a process involved but it is totally worth it! The trick to making these fries crispy and delicious is to soak them in salt water for about 30 minutes before cooking. After they have soaked you have to dry them on a towel to ensure that all the water is off and then sprinkle on the seasoning, bake and PRESTO you have delicious spicy sweet potato fries - and healthy ones at that!

Ingredients

3 sweet potatoes
water
sea salt

1 tbsp olive oil
salt & pepper
cajun seasoning

Directions

1. Slice the sweet potatoes into fry-like pieces. Soak all the slivers in salt water for at least 30 minutes.
2. Drain the potatoes and pat dry with a towel. Make sure all of the water is off then toss in olive oil, salt, pepper and cajun seasoning.
3. Bake in a 375 oven for about 35-40 minutes depending on the amount of fries and how they are spread out on a cookie sheet.
4. Let the fries cool and place in parchment cones to serve.

These fries still don't quite compare to Hot Belly Mama's but they are darn delicious. Wishing I could come by for a chat and a glass of wine!


Lots of love,
Jess

2 comments:

  1. Anyone have the Hot Belly's Dip recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have the exact recipe for it Aaron... but me and Jason mix mayo with cajun seasoning and chili powder. Mmmmm... so good :)

    ReplyDelete