Monday, August 15, 2011

For the Love of Spice and Veggies

Dear Jess,

What a weekend! It was so great to see you and Jesse again for Kristy's wedding. Everything from the decor, to the music to the people were beautiful.

As you know, during the week before the wedding I eliminated wheat from my diet. I highly recommend this to anyone, so long as they are careful to get fiber from elsewhere. I found my nose was clearer than ever before, and I never felt bloated that whole week. This is something I am considering doing for the next 30 Day (Hot Yoga) Challenge. It has also reaffirmed how much I depend on wheat in my regular diet, and therefore led me to think of ways to cut back in the future.

I made this meal for the first dinner of no wheat. It was flavourful and filling. Jason really enjoyed it. We made more than we needed and had some in our lunches the next day. Because of last minute things, we heavily adapted the recipe, but kept the key ingredients and spices. We used some frozen veggie mix, but next time it will be with fresh ones. I can't wait to make the full version!



An Easy Jambalaya Recipe
8 tbsp olive oil
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 Spanish onion, diced
2 large red bell peppers, diced
5 Chorizo, skinned and chopped
2 Jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
2 tbsp Cajun spices (heaping)
2 tsp chilli powder (heaping)
2 tbsp turmeric
mixed vegetables (we used a frozen mix of carrots, beans, corn etc)
2 zucchini, chopped
salt and peppers to taste

1. In a large sauce pan cook sausage with olive oil, garlic, onion and peppers. When sausage is cooked and veggies are tender, add zucchini and cook for a few minutes more.
2. Add spices and cook until zucchini is tender.
3. Add frozen veggies and Jalapeno peppers. Cook for 5-10 more minutes on medium-low.
4. Remove from heat and serve on a bed of baby spinach. Top with fresh ground salt and pepper (to taste)

This recipe fills the house with tremendous scents. Very welcoming after a long day of work. Also this week we made Chicken Thighs, and they turned out the best batch yet! What a great fall back recipe!

I hope your week goes well! You're in my prayers as you prepare for the upcoming school year and all your kindergarteners. Just remember... when in doubt, we can always do some art classes together!


So Much Love,
Sally



No comments:

Post a Comment