Saturday, October 29, 2011

The Better Butter Chicken

My Dearest Jess,

This recipe has taken me by surprise. I made it once and realized Jason lent his camera to my brother. It was so good that I made it again so I could share it with you.


I didn't expect much when I first made this. First: because let's face it, Butter Chicken is one of the best things ever. A 'healthy version' of it probably won't improve it, especially when it only takes 25 minutes to make (not including the rice). This however, holds its own. It is from Eat Shrink and Be Merry, and it is delicious. I woke up this morning to a note on the table from Jason's sister (Rachel) saying 'your dinner was so good! Recipe please!' I think that counts as an overwhelming success of a dinner.


The Better Butter Chicken
From Eat Shrink and be Merry by Janet and Greta Poldeski
2 tbsp butter
1 cup chopped onions
2 tsp minced garlic
1 tbsp grated gingerroot
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 can (19oz/540ml) diced tomatoes, undrained (I used fresh ones)
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 whole cooked rotisserie chicken, skin removed and meat cut up
1/3 cup light (5%) cream
1/4 cup light sour cream or plain yogurt
1 tbsp minced fresh cilantro (I don't use this)


1. Melt butter in a deep, 10 inch skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic. Cook slowly, stirring often, until onions are tender, about 5 minutes. Add gingerroot, chili powder, turmeric, and cinnamon. Cook 1 more minute. Add undrained tomatoes, and cinnamon. Cook 1 more minute. Add undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, brown sugar, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

2. Add cut-up chicken, cream, and sour cream. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 more minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro. Serve over hot basmati rice, if desired. (I used brown rice)



I am very excited for tonight. Let me know if there is anything else I can bring!

So Much Love,











No comments:

Post a Comment