Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Sweet Sensations


Hi Sally,

Thanks for your last letter. I will try that recipe for sure! Looks delicious. As for Marmite . . . in my opinion it is never worth the ingestion.

As promised I am putting up recipes from the desserts I made for the work Christmas party. I completely overdid myself as usual but had a lot of fun making them. My candycane cookies didn't really work out as planned. They are really hard to form into the proper shape so I gave up and made circle cookies instead. They still tasted delicious according to my taster.



Candy Cane Cookies
1 cup sugar
1 cup butter (softened)
½ cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 teaspoon peppermint extract
1 egg
3 ½ cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
½ tsp. red food colouring
2 tbsp. finely crushed hard peppermint candies
2 tbsp. sugar
In large bowl bear 1 cup sugarm the butter, milk, vanilla, peppermint extract and egg with electric mixer on medium speed or stir with spoon. Stir in flour, baking powder and salt. Divide dough in half. Stir food colour into half. Cover: refrigerate at least 4 hours.
Heat oven to 375F. For each candy cane, shape one rounded teaspoon dough from each half into 4-inch rope by rolling back and forth on floured surface. Place 1 red and 1 white rope side by side; press together lightly and twist. Place on ungreased cookie sheet; curve top of cookie down to form handle of cane.
Bake 9 to 12 minutes or until set and very light brown. In a small bowl, mix crushed candies and 2 tablespoons sugar; immediately sprinkle over baked cookies. Immediately remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.

Irish Cream Bars
¾ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup butter, softened
¼ cup powdered sugar
2 tbsp. unsweetened baking cocoa
¾ sour cream
½ cup sugar
1/3 cup Irish Cream liquer
1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. vanilla
1 egg
½ cup whipping cream
Chocolate sprinkles, if desired
Heat oven to 350F. In a small bowl, mix ¾ cup flour, the butter, powdered sugar and cocoa with spoon until soft dough forms. Press in bottom of ungreased 8-or-9 inch square pan. Bake 10 minutes.
In medium bowl, beat remaining ingredients except whipping cream and chocolate sprinkles with wire risk until blended. Pour over baked layer. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until filling is set. Cool slightly; refrigerate at least 2 hours before cutting.
Cut the bars into bite-sized pieces. Mix whipping cream and sugar. Pipe whipping cream onto each square and serve.




It was so wonderful to see you and I am SUPER excited for the 17th. I think you may have to keep me in check. All those beautiful wedding dresses to try on and so little time.

Give Jason my best and I will see you soon.

Lots of Love,



No comments:

Post a Comment