Monday, February 13, 2012

Pork and Vegetable Stovetop Stew

Dear Jess,

What busy times we live in!

As you can guess, each time I go to make a meal these days, my eyes scan recipe after recipe looking for the 'preparation time' and 'cook time'. If it takes more than an hour... no way!

Jason picked up this calendar somewhere... maybe in the paper? Or at a grocery store? With the Food and Drink Magazine? The main point I would like to make about this specific calender is that it was free. Other things it has going for it are: it's pretty, well designed, has pretty food pictures, and it contains one recipe each month that is made of Ontario ingredients. I think I will try to make each month's recipe as we flip through it this year.

January ended up being: Pork and Vegetable Stovetop Stew

The recipe actually called for dried rosemary and thyme... but you know how I love my fresh herbs! When Jason and I get settled into our place, I hope to have a big fresh herb 'garden'. Whether it's a window-box or something a little more elaborate, I don't really care. So long as they are growing in my house.

What I ended up with was a very tasty, fresh and simple dish that takes 15 minutes to prep, and 30 minutes to let sit and simmer while I enjoyed a lovely glass of red wine. Easy!



Pork and Vegetable Stovetop Stew
adapted from the Ontario Food Calendar 2012, January
1 tbsp whole wheat flour
2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp fresh rosemary
1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
2 tbsp vegetable oil
12 oz/375 g Pork Tenderloin, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 Sweet or Spanish Onion
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 medium Sweet Potato, pealed and cut into 1-inch cubes
2 cups low sodium chicken or veggie broth
2 large Parsnips or Carrots, pealed and cubed (1/2-inch)
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley (optional)

1. Combine flour, thyme, salt, rosemary, and pepper. Toss pork in mixture. Lightly coat a frying ban in oil over medium heat. Add pork and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Remove to plate.

2. In a medium sized pot, add a dollop of oil. Stir in onion, and garlic, cook until lightly softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in broth and bring to a boil. Add sweet potato, parsnips and pork; cover and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until pork and vegetables are tender, about 25 minutes. Serve sprinkled with parsley (or fresh Thyme).



The biscuits and salad were from my mom. They were delicious! She has mastered the 'Red Lobster Biscuit' and her berry, nut, cheese, greens and balsamic salad is to die for! What a treat!

I can't wait until our next Skype date! I have so much to tell you. I miss you and love you so much. I hope you are not too stressed with everything. Please (again) let me know if/when you need me to do anything


So Much Love,



No comments:

Post a Comment