Sunday, March 4, 2012

Chicken Noodle and Vegetable Soup

Dear Jess,

I have found myself not feeling top notch over the last few days... so my appetite hasn't been it's usual open-minded self.

Jason and I were checking out from Sobeys and I absent-mindedly picked up their 'Inspired' free magazine. I never have a lot of luck finding good recipes from these, but for some reason (probably because it's free) I always pick one up when I spot them. Today I am thrilled I did. Normally, my biggest beef with this particular publication comes down to there being more frozen food product placement than recipes. This issue (Spring 2012), however, seems to have a few tasty surprises.

The one we had for lunch today is found on page 40. It caught my attention because it has chicken, noodles and broth. Yes. Chicken Noodle Soup... with veggies. They call it: 'Noodle Soup with Chicken and Vegetables', I call it 'Chicken Noodle and Vegetable Soup'. Either way... it tastes delicious. They instruct you to cook your noodles separately from the veggies and chicken, and to then distribute noodles into four bowls... then the veggies... then the meat... etc etc. It seemed too annoying for no real purpose. Thus, I made it all in one big pot and it was yummy! Make this for sure! It's perfect for an upset tummy on a windy day.



Chicken Noodle and Vegetable Soup
adapted from 'Noodle Soup with Chicken and Vegetables' from Inspired Magazine(Spring 2012), Page 40
6 cups Chicken Broth
200g Chow Mein Noodles (I got Y&Y brand from The Bulk Barn)
1 large carrot, sliced into rounds
1 red bell pepper
1 cup broccoli, cut into 1 inch pieces
The breast meat from one ready-roasted chicken, ripped into thin pieces
4 green onions, sliced
2 tbsp low-sodium soya sauce
2 tbsp sesame oil
1 cup bean sprouts
optional: 1 tsp red chili flakes

1. Add chicken stock to a large saucepan and bring to a simmer. Add carrots, peppers and broccoli to the simmering stock and cook 2-3 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
2. Add Chow Mein Noodles and cook for 3 minutes (or as long as the noodles need to cook.) Remove from the heat.
3. Add chicken, green onions, soya sauce, sesame oil, bean sprouts and chili flakes. Mix well and serve!

Seriously. This soup is such a comfort and really, despite it's simplicity, is quite tasty.

I hope everything is going smoothly even if it is crazy busy. I love you and miss you and can't wait to see you again soon!

So Much Love,











No comments:

Post a Comment