Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Granola Energy Bites

Dear Jess,

Your last post made me salivate! I have been craving Chicken Parmesan for a couple months now! I think I crave these things when it gets cold.

Here is another little fun thing to make. They are from Eat Shrink and be Merry. They're called 'Goody Two Chews' and they're awesome! I made them because I was bored, and it gave me an excuse to visit the new Bulk Barn that opened this passed Friday. Jason has taken a couple of these treats to work in his lunch every day since!

 
Goody Two Chews
adapted from Eat, Shrink and be Merry by Janet and Greta Poldeski

1/3 cup light peanut butter
1/3 cup pure maple syrup
2 egg whites
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 1/2 cups low-fat granola
3/4 cup dried cranberries
(I also added some mini dark chocolate chips!)

1. Preheat oven to 250F. Spray two 12 cup mini muffin trays and set aside. In a medium bowl, beat together peanut butter and maple syrup on medium speed of electric mixer (I just used a fork.) Add egg whites and pumpkin pie spice and beat again until smooth.

2. Stir in granola and cranberries. Divide mixture evenly among muffin cups. Bake on middle oven rack for 45 minutes 

3. Remove from oven and cool completely on wire rack before removing clusters from pan. Store in an airtight container.

Note: I found that mixing wet ingredients in a smaller bowl, and dry ingredients in a bigger bowl and then pouring the wet mixture on top of the dry mixture was easier than the reverse. But to each his/her own!

Also... the book gives you a tip. Don't use overly sweet granola. These babies are going to be sweet enough! I just got the plain low-fat granola from The Bulk Barn with no added dried fruits etc.

I will be making these often for sure! I might even turn them into granola bars... with the possibility of dipping them in dark chocolate and/or peanut butter! The possibilities are endless!

Love,


1 comment:

  1. Butterscotch chips my dear. They fix everything. Especially when combined with peanut butter.

    ReplyDelete