Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Perfect Eggs for Brunch

Dearest Jess,

This weekend was my mom's surprise 50th birthday party! It went off without a hitch! There was Line Dancing and food, and laughing and contests and the unveiling of the website! So much fun!

On the Friday we had smuggled Bill and Caitlin into Peterborough without Mom knowing. We all stayed at Jason's house for the night. On the Saturday morning Kristy and Steve joined us for breakfast. They brought seasoned home-fries and bacon, and we provided the eggs and fruit salad (and of course coffee and tea.) I found these on Pinterest and made them on Christmas morning this past year. I think the original source was a blog called Snacking in the Kitchen. Unfortunately, I never got around to sharing them on this blog, so this time I made sure I got some pictures!

The first time I tried these I was sure they would stick to the pan and get all messy and no fun. Much to my surprise and delight they turned out exactly the way they said they would! They bake nice and fluffy, they are full of flavour, they are easy to adapt to the tastes of your guests and they look super cute on your plate! (I think the last time I was surprised like this was when I made Juicy Chicken Thighs, and Stuffed Tomatoes.) This is in my binder, and I plan on repeating it often.



Broccoli and Sausage Egg Muffins  (Makes 12 muffins)
1 lb Italian Sausage
1 cup broccoli florets, cut into small pieces
2 scallions (green/spring onions)
8 large eggs
1/4 cup milk
1/2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp baking powder
salt and pepper to taste
Freshly grated Parmesan Cheese as needed

1. Preheat oven to 375F.
2. In a large saute pan, over medium high heat, brown Italian Sausage for about 5 minutes, or until the sausage is no longer pink. Remove from heat and stir in broccoli and scallions.
3. Whisk together eggs, milk, oil and baking powder. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Lightly spray a 12-cupcake pan with oil. Spoon out the sausage and broccoli mixture evenly into each cupcake.
5. Ladle the egg mixture over sausage and broccoli.
6. Sprinkle the Parmesan Cheese.
7. Bake for 15-20 minutes.

It is so easy to 'alter' these. You can basically put whatever you want in it. Instead of sausage and broccoli you could do corn, chili powder and cumin; chopped spinach, basil and tomatoes; bacon and cheddar; black beans and salsa... the list is endless!



Seriously. Make these. If you never make anything else in your whole life... make these!

I love you and can't wait to see you next. I hope your house is coming along nicely! I'm sorry we can't come and see it yet... hopefully soon you will be able to give us a tour!

Love,

No comments:

Post a Comment