Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Sweet Potato Bran Muffins

Dear Jess,

What a weekend. I can not express how thankful I am for you and Jesse to take the time out of your oh-so-busy schedule and come to TWO of our celebrations. I am truly honoured, and cannot believe how blessed I am to have you two in our lives.

Last week I tried my hand at muffins! I am trying to branch out in my baking world (yet again.) This is mainly to keep 'snack' foods in the house that are not chips (because I would eat all the chips...) So far I am doing well! These muffins are from Eat Shrink and be Merry by Janet and Greta Poldeski. They are unbelievably full of flavour, and it is extremely easy to swap ingredients to suit your taste. I will definitely be making these again!



A Bran New World (Sweet Potato Bran Muffins)
Makes 12 regular muffins
adapted from A Bran New World, Eat Shrink and be Merry by Greta and Janet Poldeski

1 cup cooked, mashed sweet potato (about 1 medium potato)
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3 tbsp olive oil
2 eggs
2 tsp grated orange zest
4 cups Bran Flakes cereal
1 1/4 cups all-purpose whole wheat flour
1/2 cup dried cranberries
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp each ground nutmeg and pumpkin pie spice

1. Preaheat oven to 375F. Spray a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together sweet potato, Greek yogurt, brown sugar, olive oil, eggs, and orange zest.
3. In another large bowl, combine flour, dried cranberries, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg and pumpkin-pie spice. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix just until dry ingredients are moistened. Batter will be thick.
4. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Bake for 17 or 18 minutes, or until muffins are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean. Remove muffins from pan and cool slightly on a wire rack. Serve warm.


As you can see, I also added some chocolate chips. I had about 3 bags with a teeny bit of chocolate chips left... So I dumped them in too!

I hope all is going well on your end. I can't wait to see you again this weekend!

So much love,

No comments:

Post a Comment