Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Icing

Dear Jess,

You're getting married this weekend! It's so close! Both Jason and I are so excited to celebrate you!

Last weekend Jason and I went to celebrate his cousin's graduation from the University of Toronto. We had a lovely dinner together and enjoyed catching up. I was asked to bring dessert, so I started to think of what to make. I thought of brownies, cupcakes, cakes, squares... and decided to do a 'summer theme' cake. Something not too heavy but something delicious and sweet. Viola! I had bananas!

I got this recipe from a mix of different recipes I saw on the internet. I took what I liked from all of them and baked it. The Cream Cheese icing I also got from the internet.



Banana Cake
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 pinch of salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
4 ripe bananas, mashed
1/3 cup buttermilk* 

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour your pan. I used a round one with a hole in the middle) In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.

2. In a large bowl, cream butter, white sugar adn brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Mix in the bananas. Add flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk to the creamed mixture. Pour batter into the prepared pan.

3. Bake in the preheat oven for 30-45 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean) Removef rom oven, and place on a damp tea towel to cool.

*If you don't have butter milk, simply put one tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice in a measuring cup and then fill with milk until it reaches one cup. Let sit for 5 minutes.


Cream Cheese Icing
2 (8oz) packages cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract

1. In a medium bowl, cream together the cream cheese and butter until creamy. Mix in the vanilla, then gradually stir in the confectioners' sugar. Store in the refrigerator after use. 

2. When your cake has fully cooled, spread icing on at desired thickness. 



I did a small sprinkling of lemon zest on top for colour. I may add lemon zest to the cake next time. It was quite nice!


I can't wait to see you this weekend! I am so excited for you and your upcoming wedding and marriage! Let me know if you need anything to be done.

Love,


No comments:

Post a Comment