Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Onion Soup and Homemade Croutons



Dear Sally,

I feel like I haven’t been in my own kitchen in ages and that is probably because I haven’t. As you know Jesse and I decided to refinish our hardwood floors and it is quite an undertaking. After spending more than a week at other people’s houses I have been dying to get back into my own kitchen. My happy place.
           
While is displacement Jesse and I took a stroll through an onion field on his street that had just been harvested. We could still smell the scent of fresh onion in the air. Walking through the field we picked up a few of the onions that the machines had left behind and would soon become fertilizer. I knew immediately what I wanted to make with them. Fresh French Onion Soup!

Today while working on my plans for the 2012-2013 school year I took a break to make this delicious soup. It is the simplest thing and yet so delicious and meaty without  the need for beef or chicken

I know you are having an amazing time in Spain. I can’t wait to hear all about the sights, the laughs and of course the food.

Love














Onion Soup
Adapted from The New Moosewood Cookbook

Ingredients

2 tbsp. Earth Balance (this is a vegan product I use instead of butter)
4 large yellow onions sliced thinly
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp Dijon Mustard
a dash or two of thyme
4 cups water (or more if needed)

Directions

1.     Melt the butter in a large saucepan or dutch oven. Add onions and salt, and cook over medium heat about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2.     Add mustard and thyme: stir and cover. Continue to cook very slowly about 35 more minutes. The onions will be exquisitely soft and simmering in their own liquid.
3.     Add water and more salt and pepper if needed. Simmer at least 10 minutes more. Serve topped with croutons and cheese.

Homemade Croutons

Ingredients

2-4 slices of bread or bun cut into cubes
1-2 tbsp melted butter
2-3 cloves garlic
salt and pepper to taste

Directions

1.     Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the garlic. Cook for about 1 minute.
2.     Add the bread cubes and salt and pepper. Stir to coat and toast.
3.     If needed you can toast the crutons further in the oven at 300 for about 10 minutes depending on the level of crunch you are looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment