Sunday, November 25, 2012

Sunday Snack: Tuna Patties with Garlic, Lemon Aioli

Dear Jess,

It was so wonderful to see you the other night, even if it was for only a couple hours. I cherish our 'snuggle' times.

My plan today was to make Jamie's Shortbreads. As it turns out, I had to wait for my butter to come to room temperature before I could start. Thus, I tried this quick little number. It comes from a cookbook that my mom picked up at Costco called Everyday Paleo Family Cookbook. It's part of a new 'eating lifestyle' that is fast spreading. I like the concept as it falls in with eating whole foods, and cutting out refined sugars, flours and preservatives. I guess it's not so much new as 're-invented'. It has recipes for all sorts of dressings, mayo, ketchup, BBQ sauces etc. This book is beautifully put together, with an index of the names of the recipes paired with a picture of it! I have made my grocery list to include a couple meals from this book.

I can still taste this one! Jason and I just finished eating it 10 minutes ago. I didn't have high hopes for it, as it looked too simple to be delicious. I was (happily) wrong.

 
Tuna Patties with Garlic, Lemon Aioli
From Everyday Paleo Family Cookbook
3 cans of Tuna packed in water and drained
2 eggs
1/2 tsp dried dill
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 tbsp coconut oil

1. Mix the tuna with eggs, dill, salt and pepper.

2. In a large skillet, heat the coconut oil over medium to meium-high heat. make sure the oil is nice and hot!

3. Form the tuna mixture into 11-12 small, slightly flattened patties and cook in the hot oil for 2-3 minutes per side.

4. You will not be able to fit all 11-12 in your pan at the same time, so you might have to add more oil for each batch. Make sure the patties are brown before you flip them so that they hold together! Serve with my Simply Coleslaw (p. 202) and topped with Garlic Lemon Aioli (p.72).

I'm sure you understand the benefits of coconut oil. I love that you can use it on medium to high heat with no fatty, unhealthy things happening to the oil, or your food. (It is expensive, but I wait until the Bulk Barn has a sale.) It created a really nice 'deep-fried' browning on the patties. So long as you leave them long enough these patties do stay together. 

Fortunately, we had just come from my mom's last night with some left over coleslaw, so I just pulled that out of the fridge. I haven't made my own mayo yet, so I simply used some olive oil mayo, minced garlic, and lemon juice for the aioli. Just keep mixing until the flavour is where you want it!

I also realized you didn't take Beauty and the Beast with you! I will try to remember to bring it for you Christmas party.

Lots of Love,

No comments:

Post a Comment