Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Creamy Parsnip Celery and Apple Soup

Dear Jess,

My days lately have been fairly uneventful. But I am thankful for the time to meditate. I still love how things happen that you can't explain. I love that we don't know what is to come next. I love that all surprises are unexpected. This soup is a good example. Caitlin came last minute for a visit, which meant she was able to accompany me on my hair appointment last week. There, we were looking through some magazines while waiting for my hair to colour, and I found this soup. I took a picture of the recipe with my phone, and remembered it only yesterday. This was perfect timing, as I was planning on doing groceries.

I made this soup yesterday but was unsure as I was not feeling well and my senses were a little off. I believe when Jason came home I said 'I made a weird soup, baby... I'm not sure about it.' We went on a date and I didn't think about the soup until I went to make my lunch today. I decided to give it a chance.

Today, (to my utmost pleasure!) my lunch included:

Creamy Parsnip Celery and Apple Soup
from a magazine in Van Gogh Design Hair and Spa
(I think it was Everyday Living, December 2012)

2 tbsp unsalted butter
1 leek (white and light green parts), washed and sliced
1/4 tsp ground ginger
Pinch salt
1 lb parsnips, peeled and sliced
3 ribs celery, sliced
1 granny Smith apple, peeled, seeded and chopped
3 cups sodium-reduced chicken broth
3 cups water
1/4 cup whipping cream (35%)
2 tsp Dijon mustard
2 tsp cider vinegar

1. In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat, cook leek, ginger and salt, stirring occasionally until softened, about 8 minutes.

2. Stir in parsnips, celery and apple; cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Add broth and water; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until parsnips are tender, about 20 minutes. Let cook for 10 minutes.

3. In batches in blender, puree soup until smooth; return to pot. Sitr in cream, mustard and vinegar; reheat to serve.



I must have been distracted while making my list, as I forgot to add celery to my list. Never fear, I had some carrots which I added instead. I'm sure celery would be delicious, but the carrots were tasty as well.

I am so excited to see you in a couple days! I hope your preparations are going well.

So much love,


No comments:

Post a Comment