Thursday, January 10, 2013

Cheddar and Sweet Corn Scones

Jess!

I miss you so much! I am so sorry to hear you were sick over the holidays. I was as well. And my brother. And my sister. And my brother-in-law. And on the day before he returned to work, my husband. That being said, it was a wonderful holiday! I have an amazing entry on the way about the Turducken we all chipped in the make. What an adventure!

Today's entry came from a BBC Good Food email that I received. The subject read 'Homemade Soup Recipes for Cozy Nights In.' I had to open it and check it out. I didn't find a soup, but I found these scones, and let me tell you... so yummy. I would serve this with a chili or soup any day!

Cheddar and Sweet Corn Scones
adapted from bbcgoodfood.com
1 1/2 - 2 cups yellow corn
1 cup all purpose whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose white flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp ground mustard
1/4 tsp ground cayenne or paprika, plus extra for sprinkling
1 tsp dried thyme (fresh would be yummy if you have any)
1/4 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
3/4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
3/4 cup skimmed milk, plus extra for brushing
juice of 1/2 a lemon

1. Heat oven to 450F. Mix the flour, baking powder, mustard, cayenne, 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp thyme leaves in a large bowl, then rub int he butter until the mix lookes like fine crumbs. Tip in most of the cheese and all of the corn. Mix the milk with the lemon juice, them stir into the bowl to make a slightly sticky dough. Don't over-work the dough.

2. Tip the dough onto a floured work surface, knead 2-3 times to smooth a little, then divide into 10 balls. Shape each roughly with your hands and put onto a floured baking sheet. Brush each with a little milk, then scatter with a little cheese, cayenne and a few thyme leaves. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the scones are risen, golden and sound hollow when tapped on the bottom. Cool on a rack.





I was able to use the corn that we froze this fall, so they had a lovely 'fresh corn' flavour!

I can't wait to see you again. We need to schedule a date! We are heading out west pretty soon for a week or so. Maybe after we get back?

Lots of Love,

1 comment: