Monday, February 25, 2013

Dinner Rolls

Dear Sally, 

I have found Jesse's new favorite recipe. I was home sick last Monday and spent almost an entire afternoon on Pinterest and other blogs I stumbled upon in my travels. While I was mulling around I found an AMAZING recipe for dinner rolls at Nomemade . These are the fluffiest things I have ever made and Jesse tells me they are delicious. I served them two nights in a row when we were hosting guests and they were a big hit. Unfortunately (like most delicious things in this world) I can't eat them but I enjoy how much Jesse loves them so they are still wonderful to make. You need to set aside a morning or afternoon for these so that they have the right amount of time to rise. Trust me it is worth it!


Dinner Rolls

Ingredients:
2 c warm water
2/3 c milk
2 Tbsp dry yeast
1/4 c sugar
2 tsp salt
1/2 c butter (melted)
1 egg
4 1/2- 5 c all purpose flour

Directions:
In a Kitchenaid mixing bowl, stir in warm water and milk.
Add yeast, then sugar, salt, butter, egg, and 2 cups of flour.
Mix on low speed until ingredients are wet, then 2 minutes at medium speed.
Add 2 more cups of flour, mix on low speed until ingredients are wet, then 2 minutes at medium speed.
Add 1/2 cup flour more at a time.
Dough should be soft, not overly sticky, and not stiff.
Scrape the dough off the sides of the bowl and pour about 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil around the sides of the bowl so that the bowl is coated.  
Allow the dough to rise in a warm place until it doubles in size and rises to the top of the bowl.
 Once the dough has risen, place your dough on a flat floured surface, then divide the dough in half.

Roll out 1/2 the dough into a circle.
Using a knife, cut the dough into 16 even slices.

 Begin to roll the slice of dough in, starting from the wide end and tuck the small point underneath.  

Place rolls on parchment-lined baking sheet.  
   
Do the same for the other half of the dough and let them rise for 1- 1 1/2 hours, until double in size.

Bake at 375 F for 15-20 minutes or until golden-brown.

I had to substitute regular milk for milk powder and I used the dough hook on my mixer right from the begining of the mixing process and it all worked out. You may want to grease your hands when working with the dough on the counter as it is quite sticky when it first comes out of the bowl. 

My search for amazing and simple recipes continues. I hope you are keeping warm in this chilly winter weather

Love, 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment