Monday, May 20, 2013

Pizza Kale Chips



Dear Sally, 

    I have been LOVING this Spring weather lately! It makes me want to dig in the garden with my fingers, soak up the morning sun of a Saturday run and paint my toenails. 
    
    My parents have been eating raw for almost a year now and I have really actually enjoyed some of the recipes that they have shared with me. Today's feature is raw Kale chips. I have tried some of the store brands and they are either too chewy or have an aftertaste. This recipe is easy and delicious. I could honestly sit and eat and entire bag. The best part is that you really don't have to feel guilty. You can do them in the oven or in a dehydrator. I'm not sure which I like better.
Pizza Kale Chips

¼ cup sunflower seeds, soaked for 2 to 4 hours and drained
¼ cup cashews
¼ cup nutritional yeast
¼ cup sundried tomatoes, soaked for 30 minutes and drained
12 large red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 clove garlic, peeled
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons filtered water
½ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon fennel seeds
½ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 bunch kale, tough stems removed, roughly chopped

Combine all ingredients except the kale in a high-speed blender and blend until smooth, adding a splash of water if needed to blend.

In a  large bowl, combine the kale and the pizza sauce. Use your hands to massage the sauce all over the kale, making sure it’s coated completely.

Raw
Arrange the kale in a single layer on a Telflex-lined dehydrator tray. Dehydrate for 8 hours or overnight, until crisp.

Baked
Preheat oven to 300 and grease a baking sheet with coconut oil. Arrange the kale in a single layer on the baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and use a spatula to carefully flip the kale chips. Bake for 5 to 10 more minutes, watching carefully to make sure the kale doesn't burn, then remove from the oven and cool completely.


My dad found this recipe somewhere in his search for raw snacks (probably off the internet) and I hope to find a few different flavours.

If you and Jason are ever up this way let us know. It would be wonderful to see you again soon.

Love



No comments:

Post a Comment