Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Mango Chutney

Dear Jess,

I am so sorry it has been so long since my last post! As you know, I have been caught in the throws of morning sickness... thankfully it seems to be passing as I ease into the second trimester!

I have been having quite a few frustrating moments lately. Blood clinics loosing my requisitions, getting lost, forgetting to do things... and most recently, not being able to find Mango Chutney in Sobeys. (Even though they have an isle with 'Chutney' on the category sign!) I need it to make 'Grill of a Lifetime' from The Looneyspoons Collection. The girl I talked to didn't know what chutney was, and asked a stock boy, who sent me to the same isle I was in, and didn't think it prudent to come help me. Thus, I got out my super-smart phone, Googled 'Mango Chutney Recipe' and picked up the ingredients to make my own. My mood rose when I saw mangoes were on sale, and then I thought to myself that home-made chutney is always better than store-bought anyways.

So without further a-do...

Mango Chutney
adapted from epicurious.com

6 cups of mangoes, peeled and chopped
1/2 large sweet red pepper, chopped
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup craisins
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup finely chopped peeled gingerroot
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp each: ground nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt

1. Combine mangoes, red pepper, sugar, onion, craisins, vinegar, and gingerroot in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat, and boil gently, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until fruit is tender and mixture is thickened, stirring occasionally. Add lemon juice, curry powder, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt; boil gently for 5 minutes.

2. Heat jars in low temp oven. Remove, and ladle chutney into jars to within 1/2 ince of rim. Process 10 minutes for 250mL jars and 15 minutes for 500mL jars. 



This chutney smells so amazing, is quite simple, and doesn't take all day!

I hope you have a great trip with your parents! (I can't remember when you leave... but I'm pretty sure it's soon...)

Love,


No comments:

Post a Comment