Thursday, October 10, 2013

Chicken and Pumpkin Soup

Dear Jess,

First. I miss you. We NEED a phone date soon. Please let me know when you're available, and we can schedule something asap.

Second. Make this soup.

Mom and I signed up for an organic food box (by a farm called Circle Organic) that we split between the two of us once a week. We signed up because we thought it would be fun to try new things based on the local, seasonal, organic produce we get in our box. I must say: it is fun!

This week I got a pumpkin! My recipe was inspired by a recipe I found on the internet. I threw a chicken (which I got on super sale) that I defrosted over night, into the slow cooker on high for 3 hours, and cooked my pumpkin in the oven (cut in half, gut and cook at 325F for about an hour). Both of these take time, but (luckily) very little effort. I just put them in, and was able to complete my other tasks around the house. To make it 'easier', you could use canned pumpkin, and pre-cooked chicken from the store. Either way, it will be delicious.


Chicken and Pumpkin Soup
inspired by www.budgetbytes.com
1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 cooked pumpkin, mashed
1 tsp red pepper flakes
2 cups corn
6 cups chicken broth
1/2 cooked chicken, pulled/chopped
1 (15oz) can kidney beans
5 large 'leaves' of collard greens, stemmed and chopped
1 tsp hot sauce
1 tbsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp salt

Put olive oil, onion, and garlic in a large saucepan. Simmer until onions are softened. Pumpkin and red pepper flakes, and let cook for another 5-10 minutes, stirring regularly.

Add corn and chicken broth. (I took my immersion blender to it at this point... totally optional though...) Bring to a boil.

Add chicken, beans, collards, hot sauce, cumin, chili powder and salt. Simmer for about 30 minutes.

Remove from heat, and serve!



I'm warning you... This will make your house smell amazing!

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Love,

No comments:

Post a Comment