Saturday, February 15, 2014

Quinoa 'Fried Rice'

Dear Jess,

I am finding my new routine. Alice has a few naps a day, and I am able to identify when she needs one. Due to her sleeping at night time, this gives me time to get things done around the house (as I normally don't need to nap myself anymore) and cook more often!

Today's recipe came from the Internet. I haven't done anything with ginger in a while, and you know how I love quinoa! It turned out just how I wanted it. The only thing I will change next time, is I will use another egg.

Enjoy!



Quinoa 'Fried Rice'
from www.domesticsuperhero.com

2 tbsp olive oil, divided
2 large eggs, beaten
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small onion, diced
8oz mushrooms, sliced
1 head broccoli, cut into florets
1 zucchini, chopped
1/2 cup frozen corn
1/2 cup frozen peas
2 carrots, peeled and grated
3 cups cooked quinoa (I cooked mine with chicken broth)
1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
3 tbsp soy sauce
2 green onions, sliced
Sriracha, for serving (optional)

1. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a medium skillet over low heat. Add eggs and fry until cooked through, about 2-3 minutes per side, flipping only once. Let cool before dicing into small pieces.

2. Heat remaining 1 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet or wok* over medium high heat. Add garlic and onion, and cook, stirring often, until onions become translucent, about 4-5 minutes.

3. Add mushrooms, broccoli and zucchini. Cook, stirring constantly**, until vegetables are tender, about 3-4 minutes.

4. Add corn, peas, carrots and quinoa. Cook, stirring constantly, until heated through, about 1-2 minutes.

5. Add ginger and soy sauce, and gently toss to combine. Cook, stirring constantly, until heated through, about 2 minutes.

6. Stir in green onions and eggs.

7. Serve hot with a drizzle of Sriracha, if desired.

* I just used my large pot, and put it on medium heat.
** If you're using a large pot like I did, it is not as crucial to stir constantly throughout the recipe.



I was quite pleased with the flavour. Like I said earlier, I will add another egg next time (3 eggs total).

I hope all is well!

Love,

No comments:

Post a Comment