Monday, July 7, 2014

Mung Beans and Rice with Indian Spices and Caramelized Onions (in the Slow Cooker!)

Dear Jess,

It. Has. Been. So. Long.

A few reasons:

1) I have a baby, who as soon as I think I have her figured out... she goes and changes everything! I'm pretty sure this will be my story for the rest of my life! (In a good way!)

2) For reasons I will label  (to avoid grossing out our entire following... and you) as 'digestions issues' I am on a diet that has cut out many foods that are staples in many households. Because of this diet, and the aforementioned child, it has taken me a while to adjust and get creative again in the kitchen.

All that being said... life is oh so sweet!

This recipe is one I made simply because I had all the ingredients. It baffled me when it turned out delicious! I will make this again, and again! I found it on a great blog that I stumbled upon on Pinterest. Let me tell you... the onions make this recipe! Whatever you do, don't leave them out!

Mung Beans and Rice with Indian Spices and Caramelized Onions
Adapted from www.nourishingmeals.com



1 1/2 cups dry short grain brown rice
1 cup dry mung beans
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp turmeric
2 tsp grated fresh ginger or 1/2 tsp dried
6 cups water (I will do chicken broth next time)
1 can organic coconut milk
1 to 1/2 tsp Herbamare or sea salt

*I added carrots and peas as some 'extras'... see instructions for more details.

Onions:
1 tbsp coconut oil or olive oil
1 medium onion, cut into crescent moons
1/4 tsp Herbamare or sea salt
1 tbsp whole cumin seeds
1 1/2 tsp mustard seeds

Place the brown rice, mung beans, ground cumin, turmeric, ginger, and water into your crockpot. Cover and cook on hight for 3 hours, or on low for 6 1/2 hours. After the beans adn rice are cooked, stir in coconut milk and salt. Be sure to stir in any additional ingredients about 30 minutes before the end of the cooking time. Turn off heat.

Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add the oil, then add onions and salt. Saute for approximately 10 minutes. I like tot gradually turn the head down as they cook so they don't turn. By the end of cooking I am using low heat. After about 10 minutes, add cumin and mustard seeds. Continue to cook for 3-5 more minutes, or until onions are caramelized and spices are fragrant.

I served this with fresh sprouts, and avocado. Actually, I think in the picture above, it is spinach... any greens will be yummy! You can add whatever you like! It's comforting and tasty! Next time I will add more spices... definitely more ginger!

I can't wait to see you on Saturday!

Love,

No comments:

Post a Comment