Thursday, January 29, 2015

Bonfire Bangers and Beans

Dear Jess,

My morning sickness is slowly abating, which means I have been able to cook more often with less gagging (yay!) I have been taking advantage of this - much to Jason's stomach's joy - by getting out all my cook books and creating comforting, warm, yummy-in-my-tummy food! This recipe is one such meal.

Long story short: I was craving perogies. When I lived with the Robinsons in Toronto, Kathy made the best perogies and sausages. It was always my favourite meal... well... it was a close call between perogies and sausage; or homemade pizza Saturday nights. But I digress. I was craving perogies, thus wanted a good recipe for sausages. I looked in all my cookbooks to no avail. I finally revisited BBC Good Food online, and tah-dah!

Bonfire Bangers and Beans
adapted from www.bbcgoodfood.com

3 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, shopped
1 celery
1 Tbsp tomato paste
1 796mL can of diced tomatoes
1 Tbsp honey
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp thyme (or one fresh thyme sprig)
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 can navy beans
5 turkey sausages

1. Heat oil in a large fry pan. Add onion and celery. Cook for 5-10 minutes until softened. Turn up the heat and add the tomato paste. Cook for 2 minutes, then add the chopped tomatoes, honey, mustard, thyme, Worcestershire sauce and 200mL water. Bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, over a low heat for 15 minutes. Add the beans, and simmer for 15 minutes more, topping up with a little boiling water if needed.

2.  Meanwhile, heat your oven to 350F. Toss the sausages with 1 Tbsp olive oil and spread out on a casserole dish. Cook for 30 minutes until browned all over, turning occasionally. Pour the beans around the sausages, then cover and place the pan in the oven. Cook for another 30 minutes. Remove from the oven, and serve with baked potatoes. (Or in my case: perogies!)





I seasoned my perogies with salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika and a dash of chili powder; and fried them with chopped scallions. They were served with sour cream and salsa.

Dinner is served!

I hope you're feeling well!! I miss you and love you (as always!)

Love,





No comments:

Post a Comment