Monday, February 2, 2015

Lentil Burgers

Dear Jess,

I have been making a lot of 'patties' lately. Tuna, salmon, chicken... you name it. One reason is because they're an easy lunch for both Alice and me; and second because they're easy to take with us, when Alice needs to eat while we're out. (Plus, they're yummy!) This led me to want to try this recipe.

If you're looking for a cost-effective, vegetarian, filling dinner, look no further! I found this on good old Pinterest, and decided it was worth trying out. I had to make a few modifications, but in the end, dinner was a success!

Lentil Burgers
adapted from www.veganinthefreezer.com
1 cup dried green lentils
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, finely grated
3/4 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup sunflower seeds (not in their shells!)
1 egg
3/4 cup bread crumbs (I made some from my gluten free bread)
4 Tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp ground ginger
1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
all purpose flour (I used spelt flour)
coconut oil for frying

1. Add you lentils and 2 cups of water to a pot. Bring to a boil. Lower heat to low, and simmer for 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.

2. Saute onion and carrot in a wee bit of olive oil for 5 minutes (or until onion is softened, but not browned). Add these to a bowl with the remaining ingredients. Add lentils, and mix well.

3. Transfer to a a food processor, and pulse 5 or six times. Just enough to break it down slightly. Transfer back to your bowl, and slowly add flour until it reaches a consistency that can be formed into burgers. (I only added around 1/4 cup... maybe 1/3 cup.)

4. Heat coconut oil in a large frying pan on medium/medium-high heat. There should be a good layer of oil on the whole pan. Heat until a little piece of lentil sizzles when dropped on the oil. Form your burgers into the desired size patties, and cook for about 3 minutes on each side.

5. Serve on desired bun, pita, bed of greens... with desired condiments. (I made a curried mayo, and served them with oven roasted veggies! Mmmmm)





This will also serve as Jason's lunch tomorrow! Win for Sally!

I hope you're feeling well, and still have energy! I hope to see you before the baby arrives!

Love,










No comments:

Post a Comment