Congratulations again on wee little Carter! It was such a pleasure to see you, and meet the little guy on Friday! I can't wait to share in the adventures of parenthood together! You are looking fabulous, and I look forward to our next visit!!
This dish is sublime. Roasted everything, atop quinoa noodles. Alice ate this all up, and was such a mess we had to dump her in the tub after! I hope to make this over and over. (Even do a frozen batch for when baby #2 arrives!)
Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto
9 large Roma tomatoes, sliced in half lengthwise
1/3 cup almonds
2 garlic cloves
1 cup tightly packed fresh basil
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (plus extra for drizzling on tomatoes)
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast (optional... I didn't use this)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
You desired amount of cooked Pasta
1. Preheat oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment. Place sliced tomatoes on the sheet and drizzle with oil, salt and pepper. Roast for about 1 hour and 10 minutes. Watch closely during the last 15 minutes of roasting.
2. Put almonds into food processor and process until finely chopped. Remove and set aside.
3. With processor turned on, add 2 garlic cloves and let it whirl around until finely chopped. Now add in the basil and process until finely chopped.
4. Add in the oil, optional nutritional yeast, and 1.5 cups of roasted tomatoes (you will have tomatoes left over). Process until smooth. Pulse in chopped almonds. Season generously with salt and pepper. I think I used about 1/2 tsp salt or a bit more.
5. Pour your desired amount of pest over the cooked pasta and mix well. Chop the remaining roasted tomatoes and stir into pasta.
I roasted my lamb sausage at 400 for 20-30 minutes (until cooked through). I also roasted red peppers and onions at 375 for 30-45 minutes. Neither of these things are needed, but were a lovely addition.