Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Chicken Pot Pie

Dear Sally,

I feel like I have finally found a groove. Carter gave me seven hours of sleep last night and I feel like a new woman. After countless months of avoiding my kitchen I am learning to love cooking again.

Monday's meal this week was chicken pot pie. This recipe is nice and basic and I tend to add a little something here and there as usual. I was thinking of you and your new beautiful Charles as I was working away in the kitchen. It wasn't that long ago that Carter was brand new and I was reminded of the amazing support of friends and family, especially the amazing meals you made us. I plan to return the favour and this will be one of the items in your freezer soon.

Chicken Pot Pie
Recipe adapted from lovelylittlekitchen.com

Serves: 4-6

Ingredients:

4 tablespoons butter
1 cup onion, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
1 cup carrot, chopped
1 cup potato, chopped
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon "Better Than Bullion" chicken base
2 cups chicken, cooked and chopped
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, rosemary and chives plus more for garnish if desired
1 recipe pie crust (enough for top and bottom of pie)
1 egg, beaten slightly with a fork

Directions:

Prepare your favourite pastry recipe as directed and set aside for assembly.
In a large pot, melt butter over medium high heat.
Add onion, celery, carrot, potato and salt and sauté until onions are translucent and vegetables start to get tender.
Sprinkle flour over vegetables and cook for 1-2 minutes.
Gradually whisk in milk, heavy cream and and Better Than Bullion, and bring to a slow boil.
Simmer gently over medium heat until sauce begins to thicken (5 minutes).
Turn heat to low, and add chicken, rosemary, chives and sage.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Pour chicken mixture into a 9 in piecrust.
Using a pastry brush, brush egg onto the top of the puff pastry.
Bake for 30-35 minutes. The pastry will be a deep golden brown colour.

Cool for 5 minutes before serving.


Love you, 

Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment